Xiao-Mei was a supporting character of the anime/manga Fullmetal Alchemist. She is May Chang's pet panda and traveling companion. Due to a disease that severely stunted her growth, Xiao-Mei was abandoned by her pack as a cub.
She is voiced by Rie Kugimiya in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Tia Ballard in the English version of the anime.
Though cute, Xiao-Mei is rather vicious and fiercely protective of May Chang, using her strong panda jaws to bite anyone unworthy who comes too close to her master's presence, including Yoki and Edward. She seems to begrudgingly accept Scar's existence, as she has not attacked him (perhaps picking up instinctively on his good nature as May does). She is often mistaken for a cat by the Elrics to her and May's chagrin.
- Some characters in the dub mispronounce her name as "Show Mei", when in Japanese it's always "Shao Mei". The fact is rather ironic, because situations are reversed for Shou Tucker, whose Japanese name sounds like "Show" but is mispronounced consistently as "Shao" in the dub.
- In Mandarin, the phonetics "xiao mei" means little (specifically the youngest) sister, reflecting very well Xiao Mei's relationship with May Chang.
- The second character in Xiao-Mei's name in the official Chinese translation is the same as that of May's own name, and the first character, Xiao, meaning little, also making her "Little May."
- Rie Kugimiya, who voices Xiao-Mei, also plays Alphonse Elric.
- Xiao-Mei was voted twentieth most popular character in the series in the recent fan poll; two spots ahead of May Chang.
- The last volume of the manga features a rejected picture that shows Xiao Mei had a growth spurt and is now the size or a normal panda.