This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Yoriichi Tsugikuni contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||This world is beautiful in every single way. I believe being born into this world is a blessing in itself. [...] My dream was to live a quiet life with my family. A small home was fine. I wanted to sleep with our futons side by side. A distance where I could see the faces of my loved ones. A distance close enough to immediately grab their hands if I reached out. That would've been enough for me. But even that would never come true. Because demons existed in this beautiful world.||„|
|~ Yoriichi Tsugikuni to Sumiyoshi Kamado.|
Yoriichi Tsugikuni (繼國 緣壱) is the posthumous overarching protagonist of the 2016-2020 fantasy horror manga series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and its 2019 anime television series adaption.
He is without a doubt the single most powerful character in the entire story and the Creator of the first Breathing Style. With the introduction of the Breathing Styles, the pace of Demon hunting began to accelerate, and giving demon slayers the power they so desperately needed to fight Demons on even terms.
With Yoriichi's Sun Breathing eventually deriving onto various forms of Breathing techniques, Demon slayers finally began to produce desirable results. No Demon slayer as an individual was or possibly ever will be as powerful as Yoriichi before his birth, during his life, or since his death.
He is also the younger twin brother of Michikatsu Tsugikuni, who had a very complicated love-hate viewpoint of Yoriichi and later became Kokushibo, the Upper Rank One Demon to transcend death and attempt to surpass Yoriichi's incredible talent which can only be depicted as being blessed by gods.
He is voiced by Kazuhiko Inoue in the original Japanese (who also voiced Kakashi Hatake from Naruto), and by Mick Lauer in the English.
Yoriichi has slightly more slimmer bangs and wavier hair than his brother, colored black to red hair and burgundy in the anime, like Tanjiro Kamado. His demon slayer mark was at the same place at the top of his forehead, albeit lighter color.
Yoriichi wears a red haori with black hakama over an orange kimono and a katana worn on his hip. Many Demon Slayers are Conventional. He also wears the same Hanafuda Earrings created from his mother that Tanjuro Kamado wore, which are passed on to Tanjiro Kamado.
|“||I am a man with no worth.||„|
|~ Yoriichi to Sumiyoshi|
Yoriichi is the man of peace and of reverence. He was incredibly proud to see himself like any other human being and no one special. His brother still has the future and was optimistic, that given the overwhelming power of the Demon Slayer Corps of the First Breathing possessed, a generation would arise that would further exceed their own.
Powers and Abilities
Demon Slayer Mark: Yoriichi is the progenitor of the Demon Slayer Mark, being born with it, possessing the tremendous physical abilities granted by its effects all throughout his lifespan. Unlike all other marks users in his era, Yoriichi was able to defy fate and lived to about 85 years of age. It is presently unknown why Yoriichi is immune to the Mark's effects, but it's presumably because he was the first one ever to have it and born with it naturally, unlike all other mark bearers who must train to attain it.
- Bright Red Nichirin Sword: Yoriichi is the first person ever to be able to turn his Nichirin Sword into a bright Red color as he was born with the mark that presumably gave users the ability to turn their blade bright red as while. When fighting, Yoriichi can dye his black sword to bright red at will, letting him hamper the enhanced regeneration of demons, even Muzan's instant regeneration, burning him at a cellular level, leaving scars on his body for hundreds of years. It has also been noted by Muzan himself that Yoriichi's bright red blade was far more effective than those of the current generation Hashira and Tanjiro as Yoriichi could completely negate Muzan's near-absolute regeneration for a short period of time while the modern era Demon Slayers can only slow it down ever so slightly despite the fact that Muzan was in a much weaker condition because of the Anti-Kibutsuji Drug.
- Transparent World: Yoriichi has access to the Transparent World since birth, and could use it with surprising proficient, evident when he could watch for lung expansions and muscle contractions within a person and surmise when to strike them. This ability also granted him an advantage against Muzan, allowing him to find his weaknesses instantly and overwhelm him.
Selfless State: During their confrontation, Muzan noted that Yoriichi emanated absolutely no sense of drive, hatred, anger, fighting spirit, animosity or even bloodlust despite being in mid-battle against him, rendering it practically impossible for Muzan to detect him, predict his movements or gauge how powerful he was with his senses. This gave Yoriichi an edge in battle against Muzan as he underestimated his strength, a mistake that shook the Demon King to this day.
Sun Breathing (日の呼吸 Hi no kokyū):
- Dance (円舞 Enbu) - The user delivers a single high-powered vertical slash.
- Clear Blue Sky (碧羅の天 Heki-ra no Ten) - The user spins their body vertically to deliver a 360° slash.
- Raging Sun (烈日紅鏡 Retsujitsu Kōkyō) - The user unleashes two horizontal slashes to hit or defend from incoming attacks.
- Burning Bones, Summer Sun (灼骨炎陽 Shakkotsu En'yō) - The user unleashes a large circular slash that defends from imminent frontal attacks.
- Setting Sun Transformation (斜陽転身 Shayō Tenshin) - The user backflips into the air to deliver a powerful upended sword slash.
- Solar Heat Haze (飛輪陽炎 Hirin Kagerō) - The user charges towards the target, unleashing a horizontal slash seemingly covered in haze that fails to land, but actually does hit the target.
- Beneficent Radiance (輝輝恩光 Kiki Onkō) - The user spirals into the air and delivers a powerful slash that surrounds the enemy.
- Sunflower Thrust (陽華突 Yōkatotsu) - The user unleashes a single thrust attack with the point of the blade.
- Dragon Sun Halo Head Dance (日暈の龍・頭舞い Nichiun no Ryū Kaburimai) - The user unleashes a continuous fast and powerful sword attack that seemingly takes the form of a flaming sun dragon. This technique is capable of decapitating multiple enemies at once.
- Fire Wheel (火車 Kasha) - The user leaps behind the opponent and spins in the air downward, releasing a sword attack in a circular motion.
- Fake Rainbow (幻日虹 Gen'nichi Kō) - The user performs high-speed twists and rotations, thus creating afterimages used mostly to evade attacks. The afterimages work most effectively on enemies with good vision.
- Flame Dance (炎舞 Enbu) - A two-combo strike which starts with a vertical slash and then a horizontal one right after.
- Thirteenth Form (拾参ノ型 Jū San no kata) - The user continuously performs all twelve forms of Sun Breathing in repetitive succession to increase the accuracy and agility of his movements while reducing fatigue. This form was created solely for the purpose of killing Muzan, since the repetition of all twelve forms aims to destroy Muzan's twelve vital organs (seven hearts and five brains) that move freely inside his body thanks to his shape-shifting ability.
- Because of similar designs, the bag in which Yoriichi Tsugikuni held Michikatsu's flute seemed to have made from a fabric of Uta, the kimono of his late wife.
- He is the strongest Demon Slayer.