This Hero was Headlined on December 2020.
This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
|SCP-999 believes that this article has stopped in time, and any and all information on it may be outdated.|
Help improve this article by checking and updating its info wherever necessary.
And now time resumes!
|“||Hoo-yahoo! I'm flying home!||„|
Yoshi is one of the two tritagonists (alongside Princess Peach) of the Mario franchise and the titular main protagonist of his own franchise of the same name. Yoshi is playable in many Mario spin-off games and first appeared in Super Mario World for the SNES. He is also playable in every Super Smash Bros game to date. He is Mario's best friend and sidekick and Birdo's love interest.
Yoshi is a little green dinosaur that has green skin and his chest, stomach and mouth are white in color. Yoshi also has red spikes, big blue eyes, on his back he has a red saddle that can be used for ride him. He wears orange shoes with yellow bottoms. In some rare cases, Yoshi is without shoes; when he is barefooted, he reveals he has padded feet.
Super Mario World
Yoshi makes his debut in this game. He and his fellow Yoshis at Dinosaur Land are kidnapped by Bowser and sealed within eggs guarded by the Koopalings. After Yoshi is freed from his egg by the Mario Bros., he helps them by letting the heroes ride around on his back and uses his long prehensile tongue to swallow enemies. Holding certain Koopa Troopa Shells in his mouth can also allow Yoshi to use different special abilities.
Super Mario 64/Super Mario 64 DS
Yoshi makes a brief appearance in Super Mario 64 on the roof of Princess Peach's Castle. He will congratulate Mario on collecting the castle's Power Stars and gives him an ability that prevents fall damage. Yoshi also appears in Super Mario 64 DS as a playable character. He possesses the unique abilities to flutter jump, swallow enemies with his long tongue, and lay eggs to throw. Collecting a Power Flower will allow Yoshi to breathe fire for a short time.
Super Mario Odyssey
Yoshi appears in the Nintendo Switch title Super Mario Odyssey. Like in Super Mario 64, he can be found on the roof of Peach's Castle in the Mushroom Kingdom, but this time Mario is able to Capture him by using Cappy. While controlling him, Mario can eat fruit scattered around the level and will receive a Power Star for the first three times he fills up his hunger meter. Yoshi retains the Flutter Jump and the ability to eat enemies and also gains the new ability to use his tongue to hang off of walls, which can be used as a Wall Jump.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Island DS
Yoshi's New Island
Yoshi's Woolly World
Yoshi's Crafted World
Powers and Abilities
- Prehensile Tongue: Yoshi has an incredibly long, sticky tongue. He uses it to eat almost anything, including enemies much larger than him. Upon eating objects and enemies, he can either gain powers, turn them into eggs or other things. He can also perform many tricks with it such as swinging, spinning with it extended, and yanking objects. In Super Mario Odyssey, he can use it to hang off of walls and perform Wall Jumps.
- Egg Manipulation: Yoshi can use his eggs, some with different properties, for ammunition. The eggs are able to ricochet from walls and ceilings. The eggs will sometimes have homing and explosive capabilities. Yoshi can even encase himself into an egg to shield himself from damage or roll into enemies to knock them.
- Supernatural Speed: Yoshi is often regarded as a speed character, being one of the fastest characters in the Mario series.
- Enhanced Jump: Yoshi is proficient in jumping and ground pounds, almost rivaling Mario's. His jump attack has the same power as Mario's Spin Jump in Super Mario World and can bypass some hazards like buzz saws. He even has a signature jump called the Flutter Jump, which enables him to cross large horizontal distances and can even be used to attack opponents in the Super Smash Bros. series.
- Enhanced Durability: Throughout the series, Yoshi is shown to take a lot of hits and punishment and still continue his task. This is most prominent in the Yoshi's Island series.
- Transformation: Yoshi can transform into various forms with a Morph Bubble or eating specific objects.
- Superhuman Strength: Yoshi is very strong for his size, during the series he's able to carry Mario (an adult man) with no trace of strain.
- Yoshi on Wikipedia
- Yoshi on the Mario Wiki
- Yoshi on the Super Mario Wiki
- Yoshi on the Pure Good Wiki
- Yoshi on the Nintendo Wiki