Yuki Sohma is one of the main protagonists of the Fruits Basket series who gets cursed by the spirit of the rat of the zodiac.
In the 2001 anime series, he is voiced by Aya Hisakawa in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Eric Vale & Kate Bristol as a child in the English version of the anime.
In the 2019 anime series, he is voiced by Nobunaga Shimazaki & Miyuri Shimabukuro as a child in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Eric Vale & Amanda Lee as a child in the English version of the anime.
He has dark grey (purple in the anime) eyes. Yuki's hair style has front fringe with the left side of his hair longer than his fringe. He dresses mainly in Chinese-style clothes just for the reason that Takaya-sensei (the mangaka) likes them. She added that she believes they suit his androgynous nature, and that she deliberately gave Yuki and Kyo different styles to distinguish them farther.
While Kyo prefers loose clothes, Yuki often wears collared or tight fitting clothes. Later on in the manga, it is seen clearly that Yuki slowly changes his style by wearing looser clothing more or less like Kyo. When Yuki transforms, he is a rat with silver fur. According to Tohru, Yuki shares the same eyes as Ayame, only to be different colors and Ayame looks like the grown-up version of Yuki.
When his curse activates, Yuki transforms into a grey rat.
Yuki is depicted as an attractive, reserved and accomplished man with many admirers, but who finds being friendly difficult.
Yuki has always had fond feelings for Tohru for actually "needing" him. However, he later admits to Manabe that he was looking for a mother-figure and found her in Tohru.
As the Rat, Yuki despises the current cat, Kyo, despite envying him, and is contemptuous of his attempts to defeat him.
When Yuki was around 6-7 years old, he ran away from Akito.
When Yuki was a child, his mother gave control of him to Akito Sohma, who kept him separated from the rest of the zodiac and convinced him no one liked him; because of this, Yuki has low self-esteem and feels isolated.
Yuki, however, wishes that he could be with people as friends, rather than be admired from afar, and envies both Kyo Sohma's and Kakeru Manabe's easy ways with others. Yuki is touched when, faced with the prospect of having her memory of the Sohma family secret erased, Tohru Honda asks that he remain her friend, which no one had asked him before. With Tohru's help, Yuki is gradually able to "open the lid" of his feelings, and the summer after she begins living in Shigure's house, Yuki admits to himself that he loves her.
Later on he develops a crush on Tohru and kisses her on the forehead in the end of Volume 10.
Even when he realizes the true nature of his feelings for Tohru, Yuki is uncomfortable when he recognizes her and Kyo's growing feelings for each other.
Yuki becomes attracted to Machi Kuragi, a student council treasurer who also had a traumatic childhood,nand falls in love with her. When he knows Kyo will be confessing his love to Tohru, Yuki meets with Machi and is with her when his curse lifts, whereupon the first thing he does is embrace her.
In the last chapter, he gives Machi a key to his new apartment, where he will be living as he attends university.
- He is about 16-18 years old.
- He is the final of the cursed Sohmas to have his curse broken.
- His First Japanese Voice Actress, Aya Hisakawa, also voiced Kero-chan in Cardcaptor Sakura series, Sailor Mercury in Sailor Moon, Retsu Unohana in Bleach, Anita Dearly in 101 Dalmatians: The Series, Bulma in Dragon Ball Z, Palutena in Super Smash Bros series, Sakura Kasugano in Street Fighter Alpha 2 drama CD, Yuri Tsukikage in Heartcatch Pretty Cure, Chai Xianghua in Soulcalibur, Nicole the Holo-Lynx in Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, and Moon Butterfly in Star vs. The Forces of Evil.
- His Second Japanese Voice Actor, Nobunaga Shimazaki, also voiced Guan Xing in Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi series, and Eugeo in Sword Art Online: Alicization.
- His English Voice Actor, Eric Vale, also voiced Sanji in One Piece, Ultimate Imposter in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Future Trunks in Dragon Ball Z, America in Hetalia, Nishiki Nishio in Rize, Kazuma in Noragami, Justin Law in Soul Eater, Toya in Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Arystar Krory III in D.Gray-man, Diablo in How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord, Tobari Durandal Kumohira in Nabari no Ou, Hachi in Darling in the Franxx, Arthur Boyle in Fire Force, Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney, Popuko in Pop Team Epic, Casshern in Casshern Sins, Teppei Takamiya in B't X.
- His First Child English Voice Actress, Kate Bristol, shares voice with Kisa Sohma.
- His Second Child English Voice Actress, Amanda Lee, also voiced Otohime in One Piece, Shea Haulia in Arifureta Shokugyō de Sekai Saikyō, and Lillie in Pokémon Evolutions.
- His Birthday is on September 2nd according to anime dtb.