|“||Time for bed.||„|
|~ Zebedee's catchphrase|
|“||You may wear a soldiers uniform Sam but it's what's inside that counts!||„|
|~ Zebedee to Sam|
Zebedee is a character appearing in the BBC animated TV series The Magic Roundabout as well as it's 2005 film adaptations (The Magic Roundabout, Doogal and Pollux le manege enchante). He is an immortal wise, wizard who has fire powers and a spring in replacement for his legs.
He was voiced by Eric Thompson in the original series and by Ian McKellen (who also played Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, Iorek Byrnison in His Dark Materials, Cogsworth in the 2017 adaptation of Beauty and the Beast and Older Magneto in the X-Men movies) in the movie adaptations.
Before the series
Before the events of the series and movie Zebedee fought and imprisoned the evil ice sorcerer known as Zeebad who was his evil twin/counterpart. He later went to the magical garden and met Dougal and the other characters from the show many years later.
With there being no main conflict in the cartoon series Zebedee was only called upon whenever the gang needed assistance with something or if Dougal had caused trouble for anyone however he did appear frequently and was a fan favourite character. In Dougal and The Blue Cat he meets Buxton the Blue Cat and is one of the latter's victims. At the end of the movie after his defeat Buxton begs Zebedee and the others for their forgiveness which Zebedee agrees to.
Zebedee first appears in the movie having a nightmare in his strange limbo like home and wakes up shouting Zeebad's name. He then calms down upon realising it was a nightmare and examines the village just to make sure he hadn't returned. After Dougal accidentally releases Zeebad Zebedee gives him and the others instructions on how to defeat him and says that should they need assistance they should shout his name three times. After the gang were cornered by Zeebad, Zebedee appears and the two engage in an epic battle. This time however Zebedee gets distracted upon seeing Sam The Soldier attacking the others when he should be on top of the roundabout causing Zeebad to seize the moment and freeze Zebedee's arm weakening his powers. He then fully freezes half of Zebedee's body and breaks the ice platform he's on top of leading Zebedee to fall to his presumed demise. After Zeebad's defeat Zebedee is revealed to actually be alive and is broken free of the ice. He then congratulates his friends on defeating Zeebad and revives Sam, putting him back on his original place on the roundabout.
Zebedee is a kind hearted man who gets along with everyone and never mocks or makes fun of anyone unlike his friends. He is also very eccentric and quirky and full of boundless energy. His sworn enemy is Zeebad and whenever he and Zeebad encounter Zebedee always takes him very seriously and leaps to the defence of others.
Powers and Abilities
- Pyrokinesis: Zebedee's powers are elementally fire-based as he can burn anything and shoot fire blasts of his magic powers from his mustache.
- Reanimation: Like Zeebad, Zebedee can also reanimate and give life to inanimate objects.
- Immortality: Zebedee has an infinite life span since he has lived for millennia, thus he can never die and can even live for long periods of time.
- Magic: Zebedee is one of the most powerful wizards in existence, alongside Zeebad.
- Decelerated Aging: Zebedee has the potential to live for thousands of years.
- Longevity: Zebedee has lived for millennia without aging or weakening.
- The rivalry between Zebedee and Zeebad is similar to Sub-Zero and Scorpion from the Mortal Kombat franchise in which they are both rivals towards each other while they are also fire and ice-based.