|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Zenitsu Agatsuma contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Tanjiro.. The box... I protected it... you told me this was more important to you.. then your own life. That's why I did it.||„|
|~ Zenitsu to Tanjiro.|
Zenitsu Agatsuma (我妻 善逸) is one of the two tritagonists (alongside Inosuke Hashibira) of the 2016 fantasy horror manga and anime series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. The manga and anime were so popular that they were adapted into live stage.
Zenitsu is a powerful Demon Slayer and a member of the Demon Slaying Corps. Although he was originally roped into joining the Corps by his mentor Jigoro Kuwajima, Zenitsu later realizes the importance of the Demon Slayer Corps.
- Shimono Hiro - Japanese
- Aleks Le - English
- Keisuke Ueda - 2020 stage adaptation
Zenitsu is a young man with fair skin and downward-sloped, scared-looking eyes that fade from soft brown to gold. He has short, yellow hair of varying lengths, cutting off squarely at the ends where it fades to a darker orange color, that falls in front of his face in uneven bangs. Before he became a Demon Slayer, Zenitsu's hair was originally black, but it turned yellow when he was struck by lightning during his training.
For a period of time following the battle at Natagumo Mountain, his limbs were temporarily shrunk due to Demonic poison, but were able to return to normalcy afterward thanks to the medicine given to him by Shinobu Kocho.
He wears a paler brown version of the standard Demon Slayer uniform, which consists of a dark brown gakuran jacket, a white belt around his waist and hakama pants that extend, as well as his signature white-triangle patterned, yellow and orange gradient haori. As well as this, Zenitsu also sports a pair of tabi socks, tied at the front in 3 white bows, with the same pattern as his haori, and white-laced footwear.
Zenitsu is a coward; always claiming he doesn't have long to live due to the dangerous job of being a Demon Hunter. He also has rather low self-esteem despite his strength, to the point that he thinks he's actually useless, as seen when he couldn't believe he'd slain a Demon that he had, tricking himself into instead believing that it was Shoichi even though the latter was a young child who didn't possess any form of special Demon-slaying ability. Zenitsu is in a constant state of fear and always cries and tries to run away at the sight of danger, claiming he wants to live a modest, normal life, instead of that of a Demon Slayer in which he just thinks he's useless all the time.
However, despite these weaknesses, Zenitsu still wants to live up to the expectations others set up for him and will try his hardest when he is needed to. He holds great respect and admiration towards his comrades and his deceased teacher, Jigoro Kuwajima, and his inner focus and drive in avenging him always help to wash away his cowardice and second thoughts when he's in a pinch.
Zenitsu is also shown to be something of a wannabe womanizer; he tends to hit on girls who he thinks are cute and ask them to marry him, much to their annoyance. This womanizing nature is shown to override his docile personality, in particular when he believes his comrades are "flirting" with cute girls, he soon snaps and goes in long hysterical rants and complaints. During these times he's also shown to become physically aggressive, lashing out that them in frustration.
With the war between Demon Slayer Corps and Demons that lasted over a millennium came to a close - with humanity the victor of the war. Zenitsu discarded his sword behind, ended up living with Kamado siblings and Inosuke under the old Kamado house. Just like his friend who wrote a diary everyday to remember and check Nezuko's status when she was a Demon, Zenitsu too decided to wrote his experience in war against Demons and wrote series of books called "Tales of Zenitsu". Moving onto the present new era (presumed to be the 21st century) free of Demons, Zenitsu's books are maintained and read by his descendants after his passing. While Zenitsu's great-granddaughter Touko shrugs his books off as nothing more than fantasy novels, Zenitsu's great-grandson Yoshiteru, who resembles very much like his great-grandfather both in appearance (minus blond hairs) and at character, read Zenitsu's books with eagerness to the point he genuinely believes books' stories.
Breath of Thunder Style (雷かみなりの呼こ吸きゅう, Kaminari no Kokyū): Taught to Zenitsu by a former Pillar, Jigoro Kuwajima. This technique increases the user's strength and agility to equal a demon's. There are a total of six styles that can be used with the Breath of Thunder, but Zenitsu was so untalented that he was only able to learn the first of the six styles, which is said to be the simplest. Later on, he was able to create a seventh style when confronting his former senior.
- First Style: Thunderclap Flash (壱いちノ型: かた霹へき靂れき一いっ閃せん, Ichi no Kata: Hekireki Issen)- The user dashes forward and slashes at their opponent with incredible speed.
- Zenitsu has honed this ability to the extent of being able to repeat the dash multiple times in quick succession.He usually goes for Six Fold (六ろく連れん, Rokuren), which means six dashes but has been able to use Eight Fold (八はち連れん, Hachiren) to dash eight times within one use of the technique.
- God Speed (神しん速そく, Shinsoku) - Zenitsu can utilise this technique to augment the speed of his Thunder Clap Flash further. He is only able to use this ability twice a day. After the second time, his legs become useless.
- Seventh Style: Flaming Thunder God (漆しちノ型: かた火ほの雷いかづちの神かみ, Shichi no Kata: Honoikazuchi no Kami) - This is the seventh form that Zenitsu created himself. The user creates a dragon-like creature emitting fire and thunder. This form alongside God Speed allows Zenitsu to move extremely fast, allowing him to defeat Upper Moon Six, Kaigaku. Before Kaigaku died, Zenitsu confessed that this form was unique to himself and that he had created it in hopes of fighting alongside him as an equal.
|“||Tanjiro... You didn't? Tell me you didn't? Just who do you think you are?! You've been travelling with a girl this adorable? Hanging around with someone this cute day in and day out and been having a great time in the process haven't you? Well then why did I bear all that pain and suffering?! Tanjiro you jerk, you getting to be all ooo and wow with a cutie is not what I was toiling away for. I did not put myself in harms way to get pummeled and kicked around by a crazy boar guy! Did you think I joined the Demon Slayer Corps because I though it was going to be all sunshine and rainbows!! Guys like you should be erased from this world immediately! I will finally make you pay for thwarting my marriage as well as sending my savior and protector Shoichi home. You shall face justice! Don't ever disrespect.. THE CORPS!!||„|
|~ Zenitsu lecturing Tanjiro upon meeting Nezuko.|
- (To Kaigaku) "Gramps was not senile. If I'm dirt, you're garbage. I can only use the First Style, and you can use all but the First Style. Gramps died a miserable death because he wasn't even lucky enough to have a proper successor."
- (To Kaigaku) "No, Gramps was never like that. This is my own Style. The Style I created myself. I wanted to fight alongside you using this one day."
One Thunder Throw by Go Shiina
A Thundering Flash by Go Shiina
List of Appearances
|Appearances throughout the Series|
- Zenitsu's surname means "my wife" (我妻 agatsuma?), while his given name means "goodness" (善逸 zen'itsu?).
- In a twitcasting broadcast segment for Kimetsu no Yaiba, Gotoge said that his name was pronounced as [Zenitsu→] with a more dragged out "suu" syllable instead of a strong emphasis on "zen" [Zen↑itsu]. The pronunciation also goes as "zen-i-tsu" where usually the n and i are separated by an apostrophe, making it Zen'itsu to not be misread as "ze-nitsu".
- Zenitsu was ranked in 2nd place as of the first character popularity poll with 4,299 votes.
- Thanks to his hearing, Zenitsu is very skilled at playing the shamisen and the koto.
- In the 21st century one of Zenitsu's descendants, Yoshiteru, bears unmistakable resemblance to Zenitsu prior to being struck by lightning, indicating that Zenitsu managed to marry and had children.